The Christian Fellowship UCC Ushers are our doorkeepers. The Usher Board Ministry is responsible for maintaining a warm and safe environment during all public services. Our Ushers are tasked with extending the Extravagant Welcome of the United Church of Christ to every single person. Our Ushers play a pivotal role in keeping order and creating a spirit of worship, reverence, warmth and friendliness in and about the church. Our Usher Board Ministry wants to ensure that everyone who steps into Christian Fellowship has a blessed and edifying experience from the moment they are escorted to their seat to the time they rise for the benediction and are dismissed.
Usher Board President: Rosemary Giles
Psalm 84:10 – For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.
1 Corinthians 14:40 – Let all things be done decently and in order.
Colossians 3:23-24 23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
The Christian Fellowship Ushers serve as:
- The front-line face of our congregation who leave the first impression.
- Our first respondents of Christian love in case of emergency.
- Our most privileged members who traditionally offer our new guests their initial enthusiastic smile, friendly greeting or much needed assistance as they enter our church for the first time.
- The visible representation of order and proper decorum in worship service.
- Our ambassadors of extravgant welcome and hospitality to all.
- The tone-setters for both reverence and respect in God’s house.
- The servant leaders who stand on guard in the congregation prepared to address any needs that may arise.
- Facilitators of worship assisting both the Pastor and congregation through the various phases of the order of service.
- Maintainers of order during offering, prayer, the sermon and the invitation to Christ.
- Practitioners of the Golden Rule “Treat others as you would have them treat you” while in service and uniform.
Our Usher Board Ministry is made up of both Adult and Junior Ushers. Junior Ushers can serve as early as 5 years old if they are able to follow direction up to the age of 18 years. After the age of 18 years, they will become a part of the Adult Usher board. The duties and responsibilities of both the Adult and Junior Usher boards falls under the supervision of the President of the Usher Board Ministry. The President may delegate responsibilities to others within the ministry.
Every member is invited to become a part of the Usher Board Ministry.
The expectations for members can be summarized in the 10 “Be’s” of Ushering:
- 1) Be friendly to people and reverent to God.
- 2) Be dressed in uniform or proper attire and neatly groomed.
- 3) Be attentive and focused on the needs of the congregation.
- 4) Be prepared to follow the lead of the head usher.
- 5) Be willing to be trained in proper protocol and technique.
- 6) Be humble.
- 7) Be on-time when it is your turn to usher.
- 8) Be an escort and walk people to their seat.
- 9) Be respectful.
- 10) Be a helper.